CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 14, 2005

14February.....the world is in love

14Feb.....It's lovers day today. We as Muslims are told not to celebrate it.....why? Hmm...for many reasons I supposed. Story began when a jewish was jailed and he wrote a letter expressing his love to the love of his life, put it in a bottle and let it adrift into a river. From then on it was called Valentine's day...it's after his name. Well, it is a story told to me. When people say...hey Nurul, Happy Valentine's Day and my quick reaction is always....No...I don't celebrate... Suddenly I feel that I was being rude. I should have said...."Oh thanks....everyday I am in love". It's a greeting that someone is telling me....so i should just greet it back politely.

Why we are told not to celebrate..let me put it on a personal note. Youngsters these days do not actually know the true meaning of it....Ikut-ikut ajer....they are the followers. I see alot of them hugging and kissing in public. Dah takde segan silu lagi. The ego-centric men bought big gigantic expensive flowers or made reservations in restaurants to show thier undying love for their partners. The women....in sexy outfit....with radiant face expect something so romantic from the men.....Restaurants and florists jack up their pricelist and today I saw a stalk rose cost RM10! Any other days it's a mere RM2.50. How foolish la. I am not sour grape just because my hubby dun buy me flowers and recite to me romantic poems on this lovers' day. I just find its out of proportion on certain things. However, let's just say today a flower cost RM10 not only meant to commemorate V Day but also for a good cause..donation namely, I will not mind buying of coz...for myself la. We can celebrate this day today but let's be moderate and level headed. I read in papers that one guy drove all the way to Cameron Highands, bought 100 stalks of roses for his gf and drove back to KL and gave the flowers to her. She was overwhelmed and was in tears. Let me continue (my own version)....then one fine day...they argued fiercely about the guest in their wedidng list and both rake up about the sacrifices they had done to each other. Eventually both didnt want to give up had bitter tots of each other.....they just called off their relationship....What happened to the time and money spent? Who lost? Who gains? Hmm....seems like a familiar story? U bet! I went thru some bad relationships once upon a time and spent lavishly on the person I tot I was going to share my life with but it didnt happen. But definitely no regrets. And that's the reason why, personally, I don't take Valentine's Day seriously and so does my spouse. I'd rather call it...Happy Friendship Day......it's more meaningful......

To my friends out there reading this blog...Happy Friendship Day and to Zaida who tied the knot yesterday......Congratulations!!!!

Smile everyone......


0 comments: